Tabletop Tools: Back to Basics

Ben Blais Web Developer

Among my many hobbies is tabletop Roleplaying games. GURPs, Dungeons and Dragons, and DC Heros, for example, are all systems I've used or run for. Recently I went through the process of building a NPC manager (you can test it out here).

Tabletops and Tools

Stylistically, I prefer to run table-top games with as little technology or software as possible. I take my notes using paper and pencil, and my DM screen hides mounds of notebooks and paper.

NPC management though, that's an area that presents a unique problem to me. Coming up with names on the fly isn't something I'm particularly good at, and crossing an NPC's name off a list and writing it down takes way too long.

Making an app seemed the logical solution, I could run an I on my phone, use it while I played seamlessly, and I could generate an NPC much quicker than before.

Front-loading the App

I didn't want to have to deal with persistent storage or databases so I opted to make the application exclusively front-end. If you had time to check it out already, you would notice NPCManger has save/load buttons. This is to allow the persistence of data between sessions without having to rely on cookies or databases.

Side-Quests

I like all my projects to be opportunities for learning. That way, even if the finished product proves to be useless at the very least I learned something.

EMs for the GMs

For NPCManager, I wanted to improve my CSS Unit game, the intent was to style everything using EMs or REMs, so a slight font change would scale up the DPI of all objects on the screen, allowing the whole page to look the same, but bigger. The results were amazing, not only was I able to make items relatively sized to their parents, but I could scale the page up and down by changing the root font size.

Mobile first

I always try to make my projects "mobile-first" web applications, but this was the first time I took this seriously. I suspect the need to make this work on a smartphone and only having desktop as an afterthought provided the encouragement that was necessary, but whatever the reason this was the first time I actually made mobile the top priority.

Improved Agility

Time was a major constraint for this project, it was imperative that the tool be done before the next game session. One solution would have been to lower expectations, but I choose instead to make incremental improvements to the app, scrum-style.

Gametime

The end result was a simple and useful tool. It can be improved but the important thing is it's written and designed relatively well. I tested it in my first session and it seemed to work relatively well aside from a few hiccups.

Retrospective

The glitches I found in my app were mostly simple (dumb) bugs. These all could be caught by doing unit tests for the data. The next time I do a project I intend to add unit tests to the project to avoid this in the future.

In spite of the bugs, the things that worked well with this project worked really well. Incremental development ensured I had a sliding scale of sorts for features of this app, The EM based styling worked in a beautiful top-down styling for the app, and the mobile-first development allows for a beautiful web-application usable on almost all devices.